Named By: Oskar Kuhn - 1961.
Classification: Chordata, Reptilia, Archosaouromorpha, Phytosauria.
Species: R. bristolensis (type).
Size: Unknown due to lack of remains.
Known locations: England.
Time period: Rhaetian of the Triassic.
Fossil representation: Two vertebrae and a humerus have been attributed to the genus.
Rileyasuchus was originally named as Rileyia, but was changed to Rileyasuchus when it was realised that Rileyia had been used to name a genus of hymenopteran insect. Aside from this Rileyasuchus has had a problematic taxonomic history with speculation that fossils of the dinosaur Thecodontosaurus may be mixed in with it. In addition to this the known fossils of Rileyasuchus are so undiagnostic that it would be very difficult to attribute further remains to the genus with certainty.
- The chalcid genus Rileya. - Canadian Entomology 20:191-195 - L.. O. Howard - 1888.
- Überischt über die Reptilien der Trias. - Geologische und Paläontologie Abhandlungen, Neu Folge 8:97-156. - F. von Huene - 1902.
- On phytosaurian remains from the Magnesian Conglomerate of Bristol (Rileya platyodon). Annals and Magazine of Natural History, series 8 1:228-230. - F. von Huene - 1908
- Die Familien der rezenten und fossilen Amphibien und Reptilien. - Meisenbach:Bamberg, 79 p. - Oskar Kuhn - 1961.
- Anatomy and systematics of the prosauropod dinosaur Thecodontosaurus antiquus from the upper Triassic of southwest England. - Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 20(1):77-108. - M. J. Benton, L. Juul, G. W. Storrs & P. M. Galton - 2000.